The Pendleton County Public Library is seeking a creative, energetic, and friendly individual willing to work Saturdays and Sundays as a Circulation Clerk! This is a part-time position responsible for carrying out circulation, public service, and other library tasks to help promote our mission of assisting the public in the pursuit of knowledge, information, education, research, and recreation.
High school diploma, public service experience, and computer skills required. Job description and hours are available at the library, pcplibrary.org, and our Facebook page. Resumes can be submitted in person, via email to email@example.com, or mailed to 801 Robbins Ave., Falmouth, KY 41040. For questions call 654-8535. No resumes will be accepted after June 4th.
Saturday 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Sunday 12:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Off every 6th weekend
*Additional hours as needed
Position Title: Circulation Clerk Classification 2
Distinguishing Features of the Class: Well-defined work assignments performed under general supervision. Exercises little discretion within well-defined guidelines, practices, and procedures. Job performance skills are learned through experience and on-the-job training within a short period of time.
Overview: Supports the Library’s mission by  insuring that customers receive excellent public service,  assisting customers in the use of library materials, services, and equipment,  assisting library staff with programming and the creation and maintenance of displays, and  carrying out public service, circulation, and other library tasks as assigned.
Immediate Supervisor: Head of Circulation
Positions Directly Supervised: None
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Follows established Library and personnel policies, procedures, and work standards
- Provides exceptional customer service assisting library patrons, staff, and volunteers pleasantly and professionally
- Maintains confidentiality of sensitive information
- Presents the Library and its services in a positive manner
- Regularly monitors library communication venues, including but not limited to employee email, staff bulletin boards, and the intranet
- Assists in the use, maintenance, and security of Library building, property, and equipment
- Uses the library’s automated system to check materials in/out, process holds and interlibrary loans, register new cardholders, collect fines/fees, answer inquiries, etc.
- Performs data entry tasks, including entering library database updates
- Shelves library materials and keeps the shelves neat and orderly
- Rearranges or shifts books or materials as needed
- Assists in keeping the library neat and orderly
- Assists in opening and closing routines
- Assists in the physical processing and maintenance of library materials
- Assists with library displays, including maintaining display areas
- Assists with programs, including set up and take down
- Assists customers in the use of technology available in the library, including basic troubleshooting of microfilm, photocopier, and computer problems
- Provides inquiry, reference, and reader’s advisory assistance to patrons in person, on the telephone, and/or electronically, including Library social media and email accounts, using print and digital resources
- Performs related work as required and assigned for the efficient and effective operation of the Library
- Performs activities related to the retrieval of overdue materials, including preparing/sending notices, checking shelves, and responding to questions about overdue notices
- Coordinates presenters, space, calendars, materials, publicity, and other resources needed to provide active and/or passive programs and displays as assigned
- May work collaboratively with community members, groups, and organizations to create effective partnerships
- Keeps statistics on programming and reports/summarizes outcomes of programs as requested
- Monitors and reports expenditures, and operates within a set budget
Education and/or Experience:
- High school diploma, or equivalent, and public service experience
- High level of comfort with technology
- Valid Kentucky driver’s license
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
Office & Library
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and work with efficiency, skill, accuracy, and appropriate speed
- Ability to exercise initiative and to make appropriate decisions
- Ability to interpret community needs to design, coordinate, promote, oversee, and present library programs, activities, exhibits, and displays
- Ability to accurately make change and receipt income
- Ability to quickly and accurately sort by alphabetical, numerical, chronological, and Dewey Decimal order
- Ability to see, read, and understand library material labels, stamps, and printed information in order to put in correct location
- Ability to see, read, and understand catalog records and to apply the information they contain
- Ability to retain in-depth knowledge of Library policies and procedures
- Ability to retain in-depth knowledge of materials and services available at the Library
- Ability to retain knowledge of physical organization of the building and functions of various departments within the Library
- Knowledge of online searching and reference services; good research skills
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to flourish in a changing environment
- Dependable, motivated self-starter able to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, in person, by phone, and electronically
- Good oral and written language and communication skills
- Ability to read, comprehend, and follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from Library personnel and the general public in one-on-one and group situations as appropriate
- Ability to work collaboratively as a member of a team
- Knowledge of and commitment to excellent customer service
- Ability to work effectively and courteously with customers and staff
- Skilled at working cooperatively and collaboratively with customers and staff to achieve results
- Ability to empathize and relate to patron needs, exploring beyond the initial question to determine the actual information desired
- Ability to work efficiently and calmly during busy periods and with frequent interruptions
- Ability to use good judgement following procedures in support of Library policies
- Ability to maintain composure while handling customer complaints
- Ability to handle emergency situations in a calm, capable manner
- Ability to provide excellent customer service at all times
- Ability to operate a computer, telephone, copier, FAX, and other office equipment as needed to efficiently and accurately carry out job responsibilities
- Ability to use the Library’s automated circulation system and online catalog
- Ability to accurately type and enter data into a computer
- Ability to read information from computer monitors
- Working knowledge of common computer applications and use of the Internet
- Knowledge about and/or experience communicating via social media channels
- Ability to troubleshoot minor problems with computers and peripherals
- Demonstrates ease and comfort with emerging technologies
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Individuals may need to sit or stand for extended periods. Manual dexterity to manipulate library materials required. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist, or lifting as required to file documents or store materials throughout the work day. Ability to do repetitive tasks with speed and accuracy. Employee may need to carry, push, pull or lift up to 30 pounds. Ability to use proper lifting techniques. Push and pull fully loaded (50-100 pounds) carts.
Working Environment: Occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. Noise level is usually moderate. Work may be performed in a variety of settings and locations. Possible exposure to dust and other allergens.
Work Schedule: This position requires working scheduled daytime, evening, Saturday, and Sunday hours.
Note: The information in this summary indicates the general nature and level of work performed within this role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. This job description is not an employment contract, and is subject to change as the needs of the Library and requirements of the job change.